In September 2019, Redditch was revealed as one of 101 towns across the country invited to develop proposals for a new generation of multi-million-pound Town Deals as a result of Rachel’s lobbying efforts.
Rachel secured Redditch’s access to the Town Funds.
Since then, and despite the pandemic, a local Town Deal Board, which is a group made up of local businesspeople, community leaders, the Leader of Redditch Borough Council and the town’s MP, worked hard to develop Redditch’s Town Investment Plan.
The plan was then submitted to Government in January 2021 after receiving cross-party support at Redditch Borough Council.
The Town Deal Board, made up of local business people, community leaders, council leaders and Rachel, meets for the first time.
The Board will develop the vision and strategy for the Town Deal.
In June 201, the ambitious proposals secured the backing of £15.6 million of Government investment and will be used to invest in skills, digital manufacturing, green infrastructure and town centre regeneration in accordance with the Town Investment Plan.
This funding represents one of the single largest Government investments in Redditch since it became a new town in the 1960s.
It comes on top of the £1 million advance Redditch was awarded in 2020 from the Towns Fund in order to accelerate investment in the town.
The ambitious projects included in the Town Deal are:
- The creation of a Digital Manufacturing and Innovation Centre.
- Town Centre regeneration by upgrading Church Green, Evesham Walk and Unicorn Hill, as well as improving walking and cycling infrastructure.
- The creation of a modern new public square, which will improve the flow between the Kingfisher Shopping Centre and the rest of the town centre, and could lead to the creation of new units for cafes, restaurants and bars.
- Relocation and modernisation of Redditch Library to create a cutting-edge offer fit for the 21st century.
- The development of a Transport Interchange and Railway Quarter to significantly upgrade and regenerate Redditch’s Railway Station.
A public consultation is held so residents can have their say on the next steps to regenerate Redditch as part of the Town Deal process.
Redditch received a £1 million advance from the Towns Fund in order to accelerate investment.
The Town Investment Plan is unanimously backed by all Councillors on Redditch Borough Council and submitted to Government for approval.
The Government announced it had approved Redditch’s Town Deal. Redditch has been awarded £15.6 million – this is on top of the £1 million advance the town received last year.