Following the launch of the West Midlands Local Industrial Strategy, Rachel has thrown her support behind the plan which will ‘boost the #UnlockRedditch agenda.’
As part of the Government’s long-term plan to boost productivity and earning power for people across the country, earlier this month the Government and the Mayor of the West Midlands, Andy Street, launched the first of the local Industrial Strategies.
The West Midlands Local Industrial Strategy builds on the region’s core strengths, including sectors like automotive and life sciences, and aims to create new opportunities for people and businesses.
This Strategy sets out how the West Midlands will work in partnership with Government to deliver on a range of commitments, including:
- Delivering on the Future of Mobility Grand Challenge, which aims to be at the forefront of the development of cleaner, safer, easier and more reliable future modes of transport.
- Playing a leading role in the UK’s trials of connected autonomous vehicles, with the West Midlands aiming to deploy the first fully operational connected autonomous vehicles in advance of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Driving investment into electric vehicle manufacturing in the region, completing the UK Battery Industrialisation Centre and maximising the impact of the Faraday Battery Challenge.
- Putting the West Midlands at the heart of transport innovation in the UK by delivering the UK’s first large-scale G testbed.
- Helping meet the Artificial Intelligence and Data Grand Challenge by supporting the development of a West Midlands Translational Medicine and Med-Tech commission to accelerate the ‘lab to patient’ ecosystem.
In welcoming the Strategy, Rachel said:
“I believe the West Midlands is the best region in the UK and is a region in renaissance.
“This Local Industrial Strategy will ensure the West Midlands remains at the heart of manufacturing in the UK and sets out a long-term future as to how our region can meet the challenges of modern Britain by embracing new technologies to create jobs and drive prosperity.“I also believe this Strategy will boost the #UnlockRedditch agenda. Both plans want the same thing, to boost productivity, drive prosperity, create new jobs, increase people’s earning power and ensure our town and region remain a great place to live, work and play.”